CONSERVATORY & GROSSER EHRBAR SAAL

The concert hall Großer Ehrbar Saal was built in 1867 by the piano manufacturer Friedrich Ehrbar in place of an old concert hall that had grown too small. Its architect Julius Schrittwieser took his inspiration for the design of the hall from the style of the Italian High Renaissance. The venue, which is located in the heart of Vienna, became one of the most important places for music recitals in the city soon after its establishment.

The concert hall belonged to the manufacturer Ehrbar and played an important role in the Viennese concert life around the turn of the century. After being damaged in World war II, the hall was reconstructed to its old historic appearance and opened for the public in 1946 with a festive gala concert with the Vienna Philharmonic. 

Among others, Johannes Brahms, Anton Bruckner, Max Reger, Gustav Mahler were artists that have performed repeatedly in the hall.


Konservatorium für Musik & Dramatische Kunst in Wien:

Ehrbar Saal

Address: Mühlgasse 30, 1040 Vienna

Public transport: U4 Station Kettenbrückengasse 

U1, U2, U4 Station Karlsplatz

Bus 59A Station Pressgasse